The History of Montrose and its Surrounding Parishes
Maryton, which lies at the south-western edge of the Basin, is the other parish that must derive its name from the early chapel that lay within it.
The history of the various estates that lay within the parish is very complex. Additionally, income from the parish was granted to Restenneth Priory ('a teind of the salt works of Munros'), and then in 1178 King William the Lion conferred Maryton Parish on the newly-founded Arbroath Abbey. The main estate was undoubtedly the royal one at Old Montrose. This perhaps developed to control the southern side of the river crossing. It appears that from the 12th century at the latest, that it had a special relationship with the Burgh, which not only changed its name to Montrose, but also possibly had important facilities such as mills and salt pans here.
In 1325, Robert the Bruce, not a frequent visitor to the estate like some of his predecessors, exchanged it for Cardross with the Graham family, who held it until the latter part of the 17th century. Another estate centre with a castle site lay at Bonnyton. Bonnyton was vested in the hands of the hereditary keepers of the Kings Forest at Montreathmont - the Tullochs and then the Wood families. Between these two estates lay the lost estate of Annanie.
A little to the east lay the lesser estate of Fullerton; this tenancy was vested in the hands of the King's hereditary fowlers - a family designated 'de Fullerton'.
teind - A Scots form of tithe